Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Week 48 part 2: SURPRISE!!! Letter mid-week from Ryland!


So I'm not quite sure if I am now in my 8th transfer or my 7th still because transfers have been a little odd... But I am now with a new companion! Elder Parker from Utah! Straight out of the Mormon Factory itself! He is 20, has 4 and a half months on the mission, and I am super excited to work with him! I am really happy that he is here to take part and enjoy the fruits of Elder Perez and mines' hard work here in Mascarenha for the past 3 months. Elder Perez got transferred to an area in the Beira Zone called Maraza- and he will be serving with... Drum role please.... ELDER NIELSEN! That's right ladies and gentlemen! My two boys serving side by side! I am so pumped for both of them. I know that they are going to be getting work DONE in Maraza. Last week Elder Nielsen and Elder Nelson had a family married and baptized and they will be having two more weddings and baptisms this month from Elder Nielsen and Elder Perez. So exciting! As far as Mascarenha is going, the work is finally taking off in a positive direction! We got word yesterday that we now have ALL of the documents necessary to get Tony and Carolina hitched and then baptized! We should hopefully have the last document in our hands by the end of the week! Tony and Carolina will be married and baptized with their two daughters on the 28th of this month.

We also have another family that has started collecting all of the documents necessary for their wedding and baptism- Lorenzo and Amelia. With a miracle, they will also be married and baptized on the 28th. If not, we'll need to push back the date by a few weeks due to complications with documents.

Our third family that is also progressing fairly well is a part member family, Calisto and Tania. Calisto was baptized 8 years ago, but has been inactive most of that time. His wife, Tania, is 9 months pregnant and is ready to pop any day now. We taught them about the Law of Chastity last week and you could see the Godly sorrow that flooded Calisto's heart as he truly realized what he had done. But he has a determination to repent and has begun taking the necessary steps toward full repentance. Tania is super excited to be a mom and to be married. We will be sitting with them tonight to set a date with them for when they can be married and baptized.

Another really progressing family is Suite (sweety) and Sarita. We found him, contacted him once, and has been coming to church with his whole family each Sunday other than the Sunday that he had Malaria (a valid excuse to miss Church). But they both have prayed to know that the Church is true and they both had very interesting responses but both testified that they felt good about the church and that they feel that God answered them in the affirmative. For example, Suite told us about his dream that he had the night that he prayed about the Church. He told us that he was standing in a field and he heard his name. When he looked up he was encircled about by numerous white men. One of the men extended his hand, and as Suite reached for it, they all vanished and he was left alone in the field once again. I asked him what he thought it meant, and he said that it was an answer from God that the Church was true! I didn't argue with him. I have no idea what his dream represents, but the Lord works in mysterious ways to bring about the Salvation of many. Suite and Sarita have a baptismal date for the 11th of June. We have yet to teach the Law of Chastity, so we will bring that up shortly and have them start on the marriage process. Suite and Sarita have one 6 year old daughter, and they live with Suite's younger brother, his 2 younger cousins, and Sarita's younger brother. All have accepted baptism and will be baptized on the 11th of June as well.

Rui and Sheila are a family that we found as a reference from Lorenzo and Amelia, and they are neighbors. Rui and Sheila are a super young couple with 3 kids, from previous relationships. Sheila has a son and a daughter from previous relationships, and Rui has a son from a previous relationship. Sheila is 19 years old, and Rui is 20 years old. They are super welcoming and accepting of everything that they have been taught and they are extremely anxious to share the gospel with their family and friends. We have taught the Restoration and mentioned the Law of Chastity to them. They have already begun the process of getting their documents and have a baptismal date for the 11th of June as well. Sheila has been to Church once so far, and both have committed to come this week, so we'll see how it goes.

Our last family worth mentioning at the moment is a family called Billy and Rosa. Billy is a member of about 15 years and his wife, Rosa has been coming to church with him for the last 13 years, but they have just never gotten married, and she has never been baptized! WHAT?!? So we are teaching her and her two children of Baptismal Age, Maria (13) and Paulo(8). They have begun getting all of the documents that they need and will be married and baptized on the 24th of June.

That's all I've got for this week because I've got to go. I wasn't able to email on Monday because the internet was horrible and the energy was cutting in and out, so sorry about that... But you know.. Africa and stuff.

I know this church is the only true and living church on the face of the earth. I know that it is led by a modern day prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I testify that he is a prophet of God that receives revelation just as Prophets of old. I know that Joseph Smith really did see what he said that he saw. I know of myself that The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know God lives. He is still a God of miracles. I know that he sent his only Begotten Son in the flesh to earth to suffer and die for our sins. I add my testimony to that of the innumerable before me, and I do so in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Mom, Happy Mother's Day.

Dad, I love you.

Caleb- Shave.

Shelbie- Invite _______, or ______, or whatever her name is, to church.

Devon- Good luck with the mission Preparation. I'll see you soon.

Tobie and Austin- WTF?! I don't hear from you guys anymore.

Rocky- Don't die before I get home, okay?


He absolutely loves the kids, and I think they like him too!

Elder Rash and Elder Nielson


Just at the edge....can't get in the water!


Mother's Day Skype

What a beautiful sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment